Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Nuts & Bolts #109 - Review: Kamandi Challenge #1

Issue #1 standard cover, art by Bruce Timm

Vitals

Published By: DC Comics • 43 pages • $4.99 • full color

What's In It?

The return of the last boy on Earth!

I don't usually read comics. The only title I have ever bought as a monthly is Saga (more on that in a future blog post), but I decided to make an exception and buy a copy of Kamandi Challenge #1. A little history: Kamandi was created by the great Jack Kirby and over the years DC has more or less refused to let anybody into the playground since the 1970 after the title's initial run ceased. 2017 is Mr. Kirby's 100's birthday and so DC decided to finally let the post apocalyptic character return.

The "challenge" part is what made me decide no to wait until this inevitably got re-released as a trade. See because so many creators have asked DC to write or draw Kamandi over the years (and DC always said no) they decided to take an unconventional approach to bringing back this title. Each month a separate creative team of writer(s) and artist(s) will pick up the story from the cliffhanger left by the previous creative team. They have to resolve the cliffhanger and then tell the next part of the story and leave a new cliffhanger for the next team's month. It means that over the course of the next 12 months we'll probably get one wild ride, but it also means this limited series should be really fun too.

Warning: mild spoilers ahead!

Issue #1 has a prologue written by Dan DiDio (who also acts as overseeing editor) and drawn by Keith Griffen with the main story (picking up on the prologue's cliffhanger) written by Dan Abnett and drawn by Dale Eaglesham. I'm unfamiliar with either artist, but I at least recognize the names of the writers. The issue introduces us to Kamandi (a name he gets from his home in the Command D bunker) and starts to show us Kamandi's world populated by mutant animals and ruled over by a kingdom of tigers. Much like planet of the apes man is considered an animal while the animals are anthropomorphic and intelligent (though far more varied than just apes).

I grabbed this for three reasons. Firstly it just seemed like it could be a fun limited series. Secondly I love post apocalypse stories & worlds. Thirdly between my early days playing the TMNT & Other Strangeness RPG and After The Bomb (the post apocalyptic version of the same) and the upcoming release of Mutant Crawl Classics RPG I thought that reading this series would be both nostalgic and inspiring.

In all three respects this was a worthwhile purchase. The promise of the second issue resolving the crazy cliffhanger from this issue will probably make me buy into that as well. I think the biggest risk will be the changing artist and writer each month, which could be either boon or bane. As inspiration for RPGs I'd say they're off to a good start; this issue was mostly split between character introduction and world building. The evocative art certainly gives me some ideas, as does the mish-mash of tech used by the characters.

I'm no expert on comics, but I know I enjoyed this and that it made me eager to pick up the second issue. I'd say it's worth the price of admission and then some, at least for what I was hoping to get out of it.

Rating: 100% - great art and a good start for this series, at least in my opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment